Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior -view of banking hall

SC 700547

Description Interior -view of banking hall

Date 1900

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 700547

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 16004/A

Scope and Content Banking Hall, Savings Bank of Glasgow, No 177 Ingram Street and No 99 Glassford Street, Glasgow (latterly the Trustees Savings Bank) The Savings Bank of Glasgow, designed in 1866 by the architect, John Burnet, was extended between 1894 and 1900 by his son, Sir John James Burnet, who added a magnificent domed banking hall. The architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, photographed the interior in 1900. The banking hall, designed in a Baroque style, is lit by a large central dome, and decorated with marble columns and ornate ceiling plasterwork. The long wooden banking counter, decorated with ornamental brackets carved with masques, stretches between wrought-iron gates set within marble surrounds. The Savings Bank of Glasgow, the largest savings bank in the United Kingdom, was a mutual organisation owned by its depositors. It was non-commercial, did not lend money to businesses or issue bank notes, and invested most of its deposits with the Commissioners for the National Debt. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/700547

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions