Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SSW showing SSE front

SC 699258

Description View from SSW showing SSE front

Date 4/4/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 699258

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Nungate Bridge, Bridge Street, Haddington, East Lothian This three-span masonry bridge was built over the river Tyne in the 16th century, of local sandstone, and repaired in the 18th century, when the east end was modified by adding two small arches. It was the town's only bridge until the 19th century. This shows the bridge from the south-west, with its unusually flat arches and entirely typical massive piers and triangular cutwaters. The surviving 16th century masonry shows up as being darker than the 18th century work, which was intended to ease the slopes to the crown of the bridge for wheeled traffic. This bridge was the only one in the town for east-bound road traffic until the construction of the Victoria Bridge in 1900. Nungate Bridge is now used for foot traffic only. Its site was probably originally chose for its proximity to the great medieval parish church on the west bank of the river. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/20/11

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/699258

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 699258) View from SSW showing SSE front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions