Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from E showing ESE front

SC 699058

Description View from E showing ESE front

Date 3/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 699058

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Albert Bridge, Glasgow This bridge was built in 1870-1 to replace a bridge, designed by Robert Stevenson and built between 1829 and 1834, which had become unsafe as a result of the deepening of the river. The new bridge was designed by Bell & Miller, engineers, the contractors being Hanna, Donald & Wilson, Paisley. This shows the bridge from the north-east. It has malleable-iron arched girders supporting the carriageway, with outer cladding and parapets of cast iron. The abutments and piers are constructed of granite. The arms of Glasgow appear in the spandrels. This bridge was probably designed to carry a double tram track, as Glasgow Corporation got its Act allowing it to lay tram tracks in 1870. It is still in use, carrying unrestricted traffic, though the opening of the Kingston Bridge in 1970 took much of the pressure off the older Clyde crossings in the city. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/14/32

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/699058

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 699058) View from E showing ESE front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions