Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior View of NCB workshops showing hearth

SC 698640

Description Interior View of NCB workshops showing hearth

Date 18/1/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 698640

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Waterside Iron Works, Dalmellington, East Ayrshire These workshops were built in 1847 by the Dalmellington Iron Company for maintaining their plant, including the locomotives working on their internal railway system. The iron works closed in 1921, but the workshops were retained to service locomotives until 1979, when the last pit in the Doon Valley closed. This shows the blacksmith's hearth in the smithy of the works. This is of quite a late date, with its sheet-iron construction, and it is also quite large. On the left is part of the anvil. The coal interests of the Dalmellington Iron Co became part of Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd in 1931, which was nationalised in 1947. After the end of mining locally, the site, including these workshops, was taken over as a museum by the Dalmellington & District Conservation Trust. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/3/16

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/698640

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 698640) Interior View of NCB workshops showing hearth

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions