Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view.

SC 696330

Description General view.

Date 12/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 696330

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 766

Scope and Content View of entrance front of Essex Park, Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway Essex Park was built c.1820 and is a grand two-storeyed, three-bayed villa built of painted ashlar masonry with contrasting quoins (prominent corner stones). It was renovated c.1984 when the original 12-pane glazing (seen here) was replaced with modern plate glass. This shows the entrance front before restoration. The Classical-style façade features a central arched doorway framed by pilasters, a string-course below the first floor windows and a mutule (supported on blocks) cornice at the wall-head. The wooden panelled door has a fanlight and lamp in the form of a flaming torch. This large villa, with its elegant, Classical design would have once been the home of a wealthy 19th century family and their servants. Staff living in the house were required to attend to the family and their guests, and to keep the house and grounds in good order. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696330

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions