Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

General view. Digital image of DF 1451.

SC 696326

Description General view. Digital image of DF 1451.

Date 1974

Catalogue Number SC 696326

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 1451

Scope and Content View of Nos 26-8 Castle Street, Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway Nos 26-28 Castle Street are two-storeyed, three-bayed terraced houses with cast-iron railings which protect a basement level. They were built between 1806 and 1819 to designs by architect Robert Burn (1752-1815). This shows two terraced houses with their arched doorways to the left and the traditional 12-paned sash and case windows. Those on the first floor have ornamental cast iron balconies. Each house is reached by a flight of stone steps over the basement level. Elegant large terraced houses provided homes for wealthy families who wanted to live in the heart of a town. Terracing allows several houses to be built close together whilst maintaining private entrances to each home. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696326

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions