Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of entrance. Digital image of DF 669.

SC 696313

Description Detail of entrance. Digital image of DF 669.

Date 12/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 696313

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 669

Scope and Content Detail of door of Woodlands House, Newbridge, Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway Woodlands House was built c.1815 to designs by architect Walter Newall (1780-1863). It is a large Regency-style two-storeyed mansion with two-bayed bows and an Ionic-columned porch. It was later converted to commercial use as the Embassy Hotel. This shows the porch which is supported by Ionic columns of carved stone. Behind these the doorway is half-glazed, has a double door with side windows and a fanlight above lighting the hall beyond. A flight of stone steps lead up to the porch and add a sense of importance to the entrance. This grand house would have once been home to a large 19th-century family and their servants. Today, many have been converted to use as hotels, nursing homes, offices, or divided up into flats. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696313

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions