Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view.

DF 666

Description General view.

Date 12/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number DF 666

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 696311

Scope and Content View of entrance front of Woodlands House, Newbridge, Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway Woodlands House was built c.1815 to designs by architect Walter Newall (1780-1863). It is a large Regency-style two-storeyed mansion with two-bayed bows and an Ionic-columned porch. It was later converted to commercial use as the Embassy Hotel. This shows the main entrance front of the house. A Ionic-columned porch highlights the entrance. This is flanked by twin bowed bays, each containing four sash windows, which have lost their original 12-pane glazing. The walls have string-courses at first floor level and are of painted ashlar masonry. This grand house would have once been home to a large 19th-century family and their servants. Today, many have been converted to use as hotels, nursing homes, offices, or divided up into flats. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/695516

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions