Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view.

DF 672

Description General view.

Date 12/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number DF 672

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 696258

Scope and Content View of rear of Woodlands House, Newbridge, Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway Woodlands House was built c.1815 to designs by architect Walter Newall (1780-1863). It is a large Regency-style two-storeyed mansion with two-bayed bows and a Ionic-columned porch. It was later converted to commercial use as the Embassy Hotel. This shows the main building (left) with its double bay window (centre) which has slightly recessed side windows. The centre of the building has an arched window with a similarly arched dormer lighting the attic room in the roof above. The lower window to the left has a small arch above. The windows at ground floor level let light into the basement rooms. The tall chimney-stacks at the ends of the roof indicate the positions of the many fireplaces inside the house, necessary before the widespread use of central heating. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/695514

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions