Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from W showing gasholders

SC 686248

Description General view from W showing gasholders

Date 8/1968

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 686248

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Temple Gas Works, Glasgow This works was established in 1871 by the Partick, Hillhead & Maryhill Gas Co, to supply those areas, outside the Glasgow City boundary at the time. In 1891 the works was bought by Glasgow Corporation, who closed it down, supplying gas from its nearby Dawsholm Works instead. This shows the gas holders built on the site of the 1871 works by Glasgow Corporation in 1893 and 1900 when they converted the works into a storage depot. The earlier holder is 73.15m, and the later 67.05m in diameter. They have a combined storage capacity of 254,867 cubic metres. Dawsholm Gas Works, which supplied the gas stored in these holders, stopped producing coal gas in 1964, though it later produced gas by reforming naphtha, a product of petroleum refining. The holders now store natural gas. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/68/25/10

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/686248

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 686248) General view from W showing gasholders

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions