Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from ESE showing SSE front

SC 685598

Description View from ESE showing SSE front

Date 1968

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 685598

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Charing Cross Horse Bazaar, Nos 16-22 Berkeley Street, Glasgow This building was constructed in about 1868 for William Forbes, livery stable keeper and carriage hirer. It is close to what was at the time a prime middle-class residential area, which would have provided custom for this and other horse and carriage hiring firms in the vicinity. This shows the frontage of the bazaar to Berkeley Street, from the south-east. The motor showroom on the right is a later addition. The central entrance to the bazaar gave access to two levels of accommodation, for horses and carriages, the latter probably on the lower level. In 1966 the premises were occupied by McHarg, Rennie & Lindsay Ltd, motor engineers, who used the original building for motor repairing. It fell out of use in the 1970s or 1980s, and lay empty until 2000, when it, and adjoining properties, were demolished and replaced by a large block of flats and shops. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/68/5/30

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/685598

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions