Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior view of Dairy Room from S, Skibo Castle

SC 684591

Description Interior view of Dairy Room from S, Skibo Castle

Date 1982

Catalogue Number SC 684591

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of SU 752 CN

Scope and Content Dairy room, Dairy House, Skibo Castle, Highland This shows the dairy room of the dairy wing which has Art Nouveau-style leaded glass windows and was built c.1900. The room has tiled walls and marble tiled floors that could be easily cleaned. The broad marble shelves probably held milk dishes and several machines used in the dairy are shown. The four-legged wooden machine in the centre was a butter worker and the metal cylindrical container with handles to the left of the wooden cupboard was probably a churn. The wooden tray on the work surface above was probably an egg holder and the pair of metal containers with handles under the work surface on the left were bottle carriers. The hole in the middle housed a fountain designed to keep the dairy cool. The dairy on the estate made milk products by using milk from cows kept on the home farm. Traditionally the dairymaid would be responsible for separating the cream from the milk and for making butter and cheese. However, at Skibo Castle, there was probably more than one dairymaid as Andrew Carnegie employed around 85 servants. The mass production of dairy products in factories from the 19th century and the hygiene laws of the 20th century meant the end of country house dairies. Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) was born in Scotland and made a fortune in the steel industry in the United States of America. Once his daughter was born he decided that she should have a Scottish home, and at the end of the 19th century he bought a large Baronial house at Skibo built in 1880 by Clarke & Bell. In addition to the £85,000 purchase price, he spent a further £2 million in the creation of an even larger mansion, constructed between 1899 and 1903 to the designs of Ross & Macbeth. In 1981 his daughter Margaret decided to sell the estate, and the castle lay empty until 1990 when Peter de Savary paid £10 million for the castle and the 2,832-hectare estate. Some £30 million was then invested in its transformation into the Carnegie Club, a private residential golf and sporting club. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/684591

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions