Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. View of lecture theatre for Physics and Astronomy.

BL 20574

Description Interior. View of lecture theatre for Physics and Astronomy.

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number BL 20574

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 683595, B 64670, SC 683495

Scope and Content Lecture Theatre, Natural Philosophy Building, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow The lecture theatre of the Natural Philosophy Building, one of Glasgow University's main departmental buildings, was designed in 1907 by the Glasgow architect, James Miller. This photograph of the interior was taken in 1909 by Harry Bedford Lemere. The theatre, with steeply-tiered seating facing the demonstrator's bench, was used by students attending lectures on physics and astronomy. The windows carry heavy-duty blinds to allow complete black-out conditions for practical demonstrations. The Natural Philosophy Department taught both physics and astronomy. It was enlarged in 1954 to include a wing with research facilities for nuclear physics, and again in 1959 and 1966 with improved teaching accommodation and another lecture theatre. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Glass negative

External Reference Box 53

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/683483

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions