Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of main entrance front.

BL 20570

Description View of main entrance front.

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number BL 20570

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies B 64665, SC 683491

Scope and Content Natural Philosophy Building, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow, from the south The Natural Philosophy Building, one of Glasgow University's main departmental buildings, was designed in 1907 by the Glasgow architect, James Miller, and photographed in 1909 by the distinguished architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The building lies to the south of University Avenue, on the slope leading down from the Victorian residential ranges of Professors' Square (right). Its two pilastered blocks are linked by a gabled Jacobean centrepiece, crowned by a decorative cupola. In 1954 the architect, Sir Basil Spence, extended the building to the north to provide research facilities for Nuclear Physics. In 1959 and 1966 he built further extensions to the west and east, including a huge reinforced concrete lecture theatre. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Glass negative

External Reference Box 53

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/683479

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions