Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior-general view of entrance hallway in College of Art

SC 683461

Description Interior-general view of entrance hallway in College of Art

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 683461

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20532

Scope and Content Entrance Hall and West Corridor, Edinburgh College of Art, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh The Edinburgh College of Art was designed in 1906-9 by the architect, John More Dick Peddie, in a symmetrical Beaux-Arts style. The interior of the school was photographed in 1909 by the architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The entrance hall, with its paired Roman Doric columns and pilasters, gives access to the corridors which link the college's east and west rectangular courts. The west corridor (seen here) is lined with casts of the friezes from the Parthenon in Athens. The college was built round two rectangular courts. The western court (roofed over in 1925) was completed in 1907 and contained a glass pavilion for 'plein air' painting as well as a special passage for the entrance of horses and other animals. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/683461

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions