Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, 36-40 King Street. View from East.

SC 680357

Description Aberdeen, 36-40 King Street. View from East.

Date 5/5/1970

Catalogue Number SC 680357

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AB 2854

Scope and Content View from west of Nos 36-40 King Street, Aberdeen King Street was begun in 1804, probably to designs by Thomas Fletcher. It was to stretch north from Castlegate to the River Don. The rest of the street was designed by architects John Smith (1781-1852) and Archibald Simpson (1790-1847). This photograph shows Nos 36-40. The house is three-storeyed with an attic, indicated by the two dormer bay windows. A string-course in the smooth grey granite ashlar masonry indicates each storey. The arcaded ground floor is used for shops. When King Street was laid out, attempts were made to regulate building on the street to preserve a uniform appearance. Guidelines were laid down for the standard heights of buildings, slopes of roofs and standards of stonework. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions