Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from NW.

SC 680356

Description General view from NW.

Catalogue Number SC 680356

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AB 914

Scope and Content View from north-west of Norwood, Garthdee Road, Aberdeen Norwood was built in 1859 on the site of the 15th-century Pitfodels Castle. It was reworked in 1881 by architect J Russell Mackenzie in 1881. Many of the interiors are by William Scott Morton, lavishly decorated with fine woodwork and stained glass. This photograph shows the three gables at the front of the house with their pedimented roofs and Corinthian and Doric columns and pilasters framing the doorway and windows. Stone balustrades form balconies below the first floor windows. Norwood was converted into Norwood Hall Hotel in 1972 by architects M F Beattie and W Cowie. Many large private houses like this continue to be converted for use as hotels as fewer people can afford to live on such a lavish and expensive scale. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/680356

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions