Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. General view from staircase landing down to main hall.

SC 680354

Description Interior. General view from staircase landing down to main hall.

Catalogue Number SC 680354

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AB 917

Scope and Content View from the staircase landing down to the main hall, Norwood, Garthdee Road, Aberdeen Norwood was built in 1859, on the site of the 15th-century Pitfodels Castle. It was remodelled in 1881 by architect J Russell Mackenzie. The house was converted in 1972 by architects M F Beattie and W Cowie into the Norwood Hall Hotel. This photograph shows the elaborately decorated hall and staircase, with its carved wooden Corinthian columns and turned balustrade. The walls are covered with golden-toned Anaglypta wallpaper. There is a large, mirrored overmantel above the fireplace. Anaglypta, a form of thick-pulped embossed wallpaper, was very popular in Victorian homes. Its richness gave the appearance of stamped Spanish leather. Anagylpta was a trade-name which originates in the term, anaglyph, meaning an ornament in low relief. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/680354

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions