Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Interior View from S Digital image of E5864 CN

SC 678625

Description Interior View from S Digital image of E5864 CN

Date 31/7/2001

Catalogue Number SC 678625

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 5864 CN

Scope and Content Interior, Canal Tunnel, Union Canal, Falkirk, from south This shows the interior of the canal tunnel, which was designed by Hugh Baird and built between 1818 and 1822. Parts of the tunnel have been finished with masonry and repaired in brick whereas the bare rock has been left exposed in other parts. The cobbled towpath has been restored and a wooden handrail with metal supports has been added for pedestrians. This tunnel was dug because William Forbes, owner of Callendar House, did not want to see the canal from his property. This meant that a 631m-long tunnel had to be cut through the solid rock of Prospect Hill. 'Navvies' (labourers) dug into the rock at opposite ends and created three shafts from the top of the hill. These shafts enabled the workers to dig outwards from inside the hill. The government authorised the construction of the Union Canal in 1817 and appointed Hugh Baird (1770-1827) as the chief engineer. The main purpose of the canal was to provide an economical route for the transportation of coal and lime between Edinburgh and Glasgow via the Forth & Clyde Canal (1768-90). The 51km-long canal was opened in 1822 at a cost of £461,760, almost double the estimate, and it ran from Lock 16 at Camelon, Falkirk to Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. Except where the two canals are joined at Falkirk, the canal was built with no locks because it followed the contours of the hills. The Union Canal was closed in 1965, two years after the Forth & Clyde Canal, and the construction of new roads meant that it was impossible for boats to travel along the full length of these watercourses. However, the £84.5m Millennium Link project enabled both canals to reopen in 2002. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions