Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh, from north east.

SC 678398

Description View of Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh, from north east.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678398

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13290/B

Scope and Content View from north-east of Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners Department Store, designed in 1893-5 by the architect, William Hamilton Beattie, was built on a corner site sloping south to Princes Street. This view of the exterior, taken in 1895 by Harry Bedford Lemere, shows the St David Street front. This massive, early Renaissance six-storeyed building, in pink polished ashlar, has an arcaded ground floor with huge plate glass shop windows. Above, paired columns frame the windows, and the main entrance is by a pedimented central door. Jenners, founded by Charles Jenner in 1838, is one of the last privately-owned, independent stores left in Britain, and apparently the oldest department store in the world. It continues to be hugely successful, with an annual turnover of £50 million. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678398

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions