Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior, view of fabrics department.

SC 678393

Description Interior, view of fabrics department.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678393

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13286

Scope and Content Fabrics Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh The fabrics department at Charles Jenner & Company, Princes Street, was photographed in 1895 by the distinguished photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The store, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, opened in 1895 with over 60 departments. The fabrics department, at the St David Street entrance (left), has long wooden counters and tables displaying a selection of 'plushes' and 'silks'. It was lit by electric fittings with china lampshades, one of the new technologies of the time. Jenners, one of the late 19th-century 'wonders of Edinburgh' with its electric lights and hydraulic lifts, opened with departments selling merchandise ranging from mourning cloths, feathers and fans to travelling trunks and foreign and colonial outfits. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678393

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions