Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the china and glass gallery in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 678370

Description View of the china and glass gallery in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678370

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13269

Scope and Content China and Glass Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh The china and glass department of Jenners Princes Street store was photographed in 1895 by the distinguished Victorian photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The store, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, opened in 1895 with over 60 departments. The gallery, lined with display counters showing an array of china plates, vases, crystal glasses and decanters, was lit by electric light fittings, one of the new technologies of the time. The potted aspidistra plants were popular in Victorian interiors. When Charles Jenner's store opened in 1895, it was one of the 'wonders of the city' with its electric light and hydraulic lifts. It was one of the largest department stores in Britain, with 25,000 people visiting the store on the first day of trading. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678370

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions