Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the china and glass gallery in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 678369

Description View of the china and glass gallery in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678369

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13268

Scope and Content China and Glass Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the largest department stores in Britain. This view of the store's china and glass department was taken in 1895 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The department, with its huge selection of cups and saucers, tea-sets, vases, ewers and ornaments, is lined by potted aspidistra plants and the occasional garden statue. The chairs, monogrammed with 'C J', may have been carefully positioned by Lemere. The distinguished Victorian photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere (1864-1944), was a perfectionist, and frequently re-positioned furniture and ornaments within a room until the photographic composition was right. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678369

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions