Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NNW showing NW and NE fronts

SC 676224

Description View from NNW showing NW and NE fronts

Date 22/4/1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 676224

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Lock-keeper's cottage, Lock 9, Forth & Clyde Canal, Falkirk This cottage was probably built in about 1848 to replace an earlier structure when a swing bridge carrying the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway was built over the Forth & Clyde Canal. This shows the cottage from the north-east, with the bottom gates of the lock cut down after the closure of the canal in 1962. The cottage differs from other lock-keepers' cottages on the canal by being significantly shorter, and having the roof overlapping the gable walls. The cottage was still occupied in 1966, probably by a British Waterways employee. Most of the keepers' cottages lasted for several years after closure, but almost all have now gone. This one survives, but has been modernised. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/66/11/10

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/676224

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 676224) View from NNW showing NW and NE fronts

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions