Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NE showing ENE front and part of NNW front of goods shed

SC 676207

Description View from NE showing ENE front and part of NNW front of goods shed

Date 10/4/1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 676207

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Railway Station, Muirkirk, East Ayrshire The first station in Muirkirk was opened in 1848 by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway, as the terminus of a branch from Auchinleck on the company's Cumnock branch. A through station was opened in 1873, when the Caledonian Railway opened a line from Lanark. This shows the goods shed at the station from the south-east, when slates were being recovered from the roof for reuse. The shed was a large red sandstone structure. In the left background is the tower of a workmen's institute built for workers in the Muirkirk Iron Works, which closed in 1921. Muirkirk station closed in 1966, when services from Lanark ceased. Services to the west had ended some time earlier. The line to the west was retained a little longer to serve a colliery on the western outskirts of the village. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/66/10/28


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 676207) View from NE showing ENE front and part of NNW front of goods shed

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions