Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View showing cast-iron plaque with the Caledonian lion rampant encircled by a garter

SC 646196

Description View showing cast-iron plaque with the Caledonian lion rampant encircled by a garter

Date 1965

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 646196

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Central Station Railway Bridge, Glasgow This bridge was built to designs by Blyth & Cunningham, engineers, Edinburgh, to give access to the first part of Central Station, which was opened in 1879 by the Caledonian Railway. A wider, parallel bridge was added in 1899-1905 when the station was enlarged. This shows the junction of the northernmost river span of the bridge, to the left, with the span over Clyde Street. The plaques bear the arms of the Caledonian Railway and the date of completion, 1878. The structural members are of malleable iron, manufactured by William Arrol & Co. This bridge was made obsolete by resignalling in the mid-1960s, and was demolished in 1966-7, except for the pairs of granite-cased piers and their linking cast-iron arches. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/65/15/7

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/646196

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 646196) View showing cast-iron plaque with the Caledonian lion rampant encircled by a garter

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions