Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NNW showing WNW and NNE front of lock-keeper's cottage with gasholder in background

SC 646178

Description View from NNW showing WNW and NNE front of lock-keeper's cottage with gasholder in background

Date 1965

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 646178

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Temple Locks (Lock 27), Forth & Clyde Canal, Glasgow This pair of locks forms part of the main line of the Forth & Clyde Canal. It is on the section between Maryhill and Bowling, opened in 1790, and designed by Robert Whitworth. This shows the lock-keeper's cottage, situated just above the lower lock. The cottage is typical of those on the main line of the canal, and was still lived in in 1965. The level of water in this stretch of the canal had been reduced since closure in 1962. These locks have been repaired and re-gated as part of the Millennium Link project to reopen the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals. The Forth & Clyde Canal was reopened in 2000. The cottage is now the site of a pub-restaurant. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/65/14/17

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/646178

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 646178) View from NNW showing WNW and NNE front of lock-keeper's cottage with gasholder in background

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions