Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NW showing WNW front of E lock gates with gasholders and lock-keeper's cottage in background

SC 646177

Description View from NW showing WNW front of E lock gates with gasholders and lock-keeper's cottage in background

Date 1965

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 646177

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Temple Locks (Lock 27), Forth & Clyde Canal, Glasgow This pair of locks forms part of the main line of the Forth & Clyde Canal. It is on the section between Maryhill and Bowling, opened in 1790, and designed by Robert Whitworth. This shows the upper gates of the lower lock of the pair, with the upper lock in the distance. The lock gates have had their balance beams, which were used for opening and closing the gates, cut off, and the right hand gate has been cut down, reducing the depth of the canal between the locks. These locks have been repaired and re-gated as part of the Millennium Link project to reopen the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals. The Forth & Clyde Canal was reopened in 2000. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/65/14/16

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/646177

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 646177) View from NW showing WNW front of E lock gates with gasholders and lock-keeper's cottage in background

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions