Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NW showing WNW front of lock with gasholders in background

SC 646176

Description View from NW showing WNW front of lock with gasholders in background

Date 1965

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 646176

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Temple Locks (Lock 27), Forth & Clyde Canal, Glasgow This pair of locks forms part of the main line of the Forth & Clyde Canal. It is on the section between Maryhill and Bowling, opened in 1790, and designed by Robert Whitworth. This shows the tail of the lower lock of the pair, with the gas holders of Temple Gas Works in the background. The lock gates retain their balance beams, which were used for opening and closing the gates. The culvert on the left probably led a burn into the canal. These locks have been repaired and re-gated as part of the Millennium Link project to reopen the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals. The Forth & Clyde Canal was reopened in 2000. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/65/14/15

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/646176

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 646176) View from NW showing WNW front of lock with gasholders in background

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions