Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Charlestown Limekilns View from S across harbour

SC 618965

Description Charlestown Limekilns View from S across harbour

Date 1968

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 618965

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Charlestown Lime Works, Charlestown, Fife This works was established by the 5th Earl of Elgin between 1756 and 1759 to exploit a thick seam of limestone on his estate. The works was on a large scale, with an associated planned village and a harbour for shipment of lime and import of coal. This shows part of the original range of limekilns from the south-west, looking across the harbour. The kiln shafts are situated between the arches. The brick shed on top of the kilns housed machinery for crushing limestone. The works stopped burning lime in the 1930s, but continued to crush limestone until 1956. Much of the lime was used for agricultural improvement, but some was used for building, and for preventing coal-dust explosions in mines. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H68/499/2B

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/618965

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 618965) Charlestown Limekilns View from S across harbour

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions