Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Burntisland, Forth Place, Forth Hotel General view from S showing SSE front
SC 610141
Description Burntisland, Forth Place, Forth Hotel General view from S showing SSE front
Date 29/10/1967
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 610141
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Forth Hotel, Forth Place, Burntisland, Fife This hotel had its origin in the parish church manse of 1823-4, designed by William Burn. It was much enlarged and altered in 1843 to designs by John Henderson, to serve as an interface between the ferry to Granton and linking coach services, and as a harbour office. This shows the complex from the south, with the former manse on the right, and the harbour office on the left. The pend leads to stabling at the rear. The hotel served for a time as the control centre for train services in Fife. It was still used as 'control' in 1967, but fell out of use for that purpose shortly afterwards, and lay derelict for many years. From 1847, when the Edinburgh & Northern Railway opened, until 1890, when the Forth Bridge opened, it served effectively as a railway hotel. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H67/388/2D
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/610141
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]