Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 48 Frederick Street, Engineering Works View from NW

SC 605741

Description Glasgow, 48 Frederick Street, Engineering Works View from NW

Date 23/1/1968

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 605741

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Engineering Works, No 48 North Frederick Street, Glasgow This building was built in 1886 for James Ritchie, laundry engineer. Ritchie was a pioneer builder of machinery for washing and ironing clothes and linen on an industrial scale, and his business grew quickly. He moved his premises to Whiteinch in 1899. This shows the building from the north-west, looking down North Frederick Street. As can be seen, it was a modest brick structure. In 1968 it was occupied by J G Faulds, makers of multiplex stone cutters and stone planing machines. This building was the one of the last survivors of the small engineering works that, in the 19th century, were part of the fabric of Glasgow's city centre. Even in the 1960s, it was an altogether unexpected sight. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H68/421/2C

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/605741

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 605741) Glasgow, 48 Frederick Street, Engineering Works View from NW

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions