Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, West George Street, Queen Street Station View of frontage

SC 605164

Description Glasgow, West George Street, Queen Street Station View of frontage

Date 1968

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 605164

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Queen Street Station, West George Street, Glasgow This station was opened in 1842 by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, with a large train shed. A former church and some other existing buildings were incorporated. In 1855-6 a new carriage entrance was built in Dundas Street. The train shed was replaced in 1880, and the 1855-6 buildings were demolished in 1968. This shows the Dundas Street frontage of the 1855-6 block from the south-west, with a corner of the former church on the right. This is clearly an accomplished design, and is presumably by a recognised architect, perhaps Charles Wilson. The building had a central area for carriages, used by taxis until the 1950s, with side and rear pavements for pedestrians. It was demolished in 1968, and replaced by the present entrance and booking offices. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H68/418/1B

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/605164

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 605164) Glasgow, West George Street, Queen Street Station View of frontage

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions