Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view from SW.

SC 602885

Description Oblique aerial view from SW.

Date 1972

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 602885

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 3872 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Hermitage Castle, Scottish Borders This aerial view from the south-west, taken in 1972, shows the castle on its earthwork mound, probably a relic of the mid-13th-century castle. Note the vaulted roofs of the north-west and south-east towers, possibly intended as a precaution against attack by fire. The mid-14th-century castle was probably built by the Dacre family. Hermitage was owned in 1566 by James, Earl of Bothwell, and in that year Mary, Queen of Scots visited him there when he was ill. It was extensively restored in the 19th century, before it was given into State care. It is now open to the public and is in the care of Historic Scotland. There was a castle on this site in the mid-13th century, but nothing of it now survives. A hall or tower was built in the mid-14th century and was rebuilt in the late 14th century. Rectangular towers were subsequently added on three of the corners, and later a large tower was built on to the south-west corner, replacing a short wing of the tower. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 6388/CN/B5

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/602885

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions