Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 62 Templeton Street, Templeton Carpet Factory. View of frontage from W

SC 591440

Description Glasgow, 62 Templeton Street, Templeton Carpet Factory. View of frontage from W

Date 8/4/1967

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 591440

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Templetons' Carpet Factory, No 62 Templeton Street, Glasgow This factory was founded in 1857 by James Templeton & Son, who adapted a cotton-spinning mill of c.1825 to make chenille Axminster carpets by a process patented in 1839. Spool Axminster carpets were made from c.1892. This shows the factory from the south-west, looking across Glasgow Green. The building in the centre is known as the 'Doge's Palace', and was built with a facade designed by William Leiper. architect, and interior by J B Harvey, engineers. To the right of the 'Doge's Palace' in this view is a large block designed 1936 by George Boswell. At its top are two friezes of coloured mosaic depicting the structure of a carpet. The factory closed c.1980 and has been converted to a business centre. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H67/188/2D

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/591440

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 591440) Glasgow, 62 Templeton Street, Templeton Carpet Factory. View of frontage from W

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions