Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, Mains Maltings View from SW

SC 587724

Description Linlithgow, Mains Maltings View from SW

Date 18/11/1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 587724

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Mains Maltings, Linlithgow, West Lothian (West Lothian council area) This complex was founded as a lowland malt whisky distillery in 1795, by William Glen. It was disused in 1854-55, but was later taken over by Aitkens, brewers in Falkirk, who used the existing maltings, and added a large block. This view shows the block of floor maltings added by Aitkens in the late 19th century. Note the covered hoist - lucarne - for taking barley into the loft at the top of the block. The kiln is at the far end. Aitken's brewery was taken over in 1960 by United Breweries, who speedily closed it, and this maltings. The complex lay empty until the early 1980s, when most of it was demolished for housing, retaining the old distillery block and converting it to flats. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H66/112/2C

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/587724

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 587724) Linlithgow, Mains Maltings View from SW

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions