Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, Mains Maltings View of kiln at NE of complex, from NE

SC 587719

Description Linlithgow, Mains Maltings View of kiln at NE of complex, from NE

Date 18/11/1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 587719

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Mains Maltings, Linlithgow, West Lothian (West Lothian council area) This complex was founded as a lowland malt whisky distillery in 1795, by William Glen. It was disused in 1854-55, but was later taken over by Aitkens, brewers in Falkirk, who used the existing maltings, and added a large block. This view shows the central part of the complex, from the north east. This appears to have been part of the former distillery. The kiln ventilator, of brewery type, was unusually large. Aitken's brewery was taken over in 1960 by United Breweries, who speedily closed it, and this maltings. The complex lay empty until the early 1980s, when most of it was demolished and replaced by housing, retaining this block and converting it to flats. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H66/112/1A


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 587719) Linlithgow, Mains Maltings View of kiln at NE of complex, from NE

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions