Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Glebe Street Station, Terminus View

SC 586550

Description Glasgow, Glebe Street Station, Terminus View

Date 31/1/1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 586550

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Former Glebe Street Station, off Glebe Street, Townhead, Glasgow (City of Glasgow council area) This was the Glasgow terminus of the city's first locomotive-worked railway, The Garnkirk and Glasgow. It had facilities for passengers, but was mainly designed to handle coal, including trans-shipping it into canal barges. This view shows the lower part of the station in its last days, with the drained canal to the right. The lorries in the left background were in the coal depot, originally the place where coal coming in at the upper level was loaded into road carts. Glebe Street was used as a passenger station until the opening of Buchanan Street Station in 1849, but remained in use for freight until the mid 1960s, when it was closed to make way for motorway construction. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H66/5/2C

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/586550

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 586550) Glasgow, Glebe Street Station, Terminus View

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions