Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumbarton Distillery General View

SC 572688

Description Dumbarton Distillery General View

Date 1980

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 572688

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Dumbarton and Inverleven distilleries, Dumbarton (West Dunbartonshire council area) These distilleries were founded in 1938 by Hiram Walker and Sons (Scotland) Ltd, the Scottish subsidiary of Hiram Walker-Gooderham and Worts, of Canada. Dumbarton is a grain whisky, and Inverleven (with Lomond) was a lowland malt whisky distillery. This view shows the courtyard of Dumbarton Distillery. The buildings are all faced with red terra-cotta brick. The tallest one houses the continuous still. Note the inset railway line to the left. Rail traffic had ceased by 1980. This distillery was built on the site of MacMillans' shipyard, which closed in the early 1930s. Its building rights were extinguished by National Shipbuilders' Security, and the construction of the distillery ensured that ships could not be built there. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H80/74/5

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572688

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 572688) Dumbarton Distillery General View

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions