Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saddell Castle and Saddell House View from west

SC 565806

Description Saddell Castle and Saddell House View from west

Catalogue Number SC 565806

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 1468

Scope and Content View of Saddell House and Saddell Castle from west, Argyll and Bute Saddell Castle was built in 1508-10 by David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll. It was attacked in 1558 but the extent of the damage is unknown. In 1650 much of it was repaired. It was restored in the 19th century and again in the 1970s. Saddell House (left) was erected by Colonel Donald Campbell of Glensaddell in 1774. It was probably built when Saddell Castle was abandoned as the principal family residence, and used to accommodate servants and estate workers. The water to the right is Kilbrannan Sound. Originally the castle would have had a barmkin, or enclosing wall, around it except on its seaward side, as a defensive measure. The castle and house are close to the ruins of Saddell Abbey. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions