Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saddell Castle, view of kitchen fireplace, first floor

SC 565412

Description Saddell Castle, view of kitchen fireplace, first floor

Date 1964

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 565412

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 485

Scope and Content Detail of kitchen fireplace in Saddell Castle, Argyll and Bute Saddell Castle was built in 1508-10 by David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll. It was attacked in 1558 but the extent of the damage is unknown. In 1650 much of it was repaired. It was restored in the 19th century and again in the 1970s. The first floor of the castle is divided into two rooms, one of which is the kitchen, the other the hall. This fireplace in the kitchen is original but the voussoirs, or stones which make up the arch, were replaced in the 19th century. To the right of the fireplace is a small brick-lined oven. Above the fireplace is a carved panel with cable-moulding around it and resting on two corbels, or projecting blocks of stone. It probably dates to the 19th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565412

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions