Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craignish Castle General view from east before demolition of wing

SC 565407

Description Craignish Castle General view from east before demolition of wing

Catalogue Number SC 565407

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7525

Scope and Content General view of Craignish Castle from east, Argyll and Bute Craignish Castle, originally a late medieval tower-house recorded as being incomplete in 1414, has been much altered and extended over the centuries. In 1837 a four-bay mansion was added, and in the 20th century, a staircase block was built. The two- and three-storeyed ranges, to the right, were added to the tower-house in 1837. The architect may have been William Burn (1789-1870), or it may have been Joseph Gordon Davis. Built in English Elizabethan style, it has an octagonal entrance tower. The entrance tower has a corbelled and crenellated parapet, reflecting the parapet on the original tower-house (left). The upper part of the tower-house was rebuilt in 1837 when all the windows in the tower-house and the new block were aligned. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565407

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions