Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craignish Castle View of east wall of north wing

SC 565404

Description Craignish Castle View of east wall of north wing

Catalogue Number SC 565404

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7534

Scope and Content View of east wall of north wing of Craignish Castle, Argyll and Bute Craignish Castle, originally a late medieval tower-house recorded as being incomplete in 1414, has been much altered and extended over the centuries. In 1837 a four-bay mansion was added, and in the 20th century, a staircase block was built. The mansion, built in 1837, has been reduced to two bays. The entrance porch, built of green ashlar masonry, is on the ground floor of the octagonal tower. It is gableted with a blank shield in the tympanum, or space between the lintel and moulding. The porch only projects slightly from the main wall of the block. The architect may have been William Burn (1789-1870), or it may have been Joseph Gordon Davis. Until 1841 Burn was the leading country house architect in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565404

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions