Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craignish Castle, Interior View of north room on first floor of tower from west

SC 565400

Description Craignish Castle, Interior View of north room on first floor of tower from west

Catalogue Number SC 565400

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7539 CN

Scope and Content View of north room on first floor of tower of Craignish Castle from west, Argyll and Bute Craignish Castle, originally a late medieval tower-house recorded as being incomplete in 1414, has been much altered and extended over the centuries. In 1837 a four-bay mansion was added, and in the 20th century, a staircase block was built. This room is in the original tower-house, but the decoration dates to c.1910. The oak panelling and plaster cornices and friezes are decorated with motifs relating to late medieval tombstones and memorials carved by the Iona school of stone carvers. The stone chimneypiece and wooden overmantel are both elaborately carved with such motifs. The decoration of the rooms in the tower was carried out for the Gascoigne family who had bought the estate in 1860 from Archibald Campbell of Jura. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565400

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions