Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Craignish Castle General view from east before demolition of wing

B 7525

Description Craignish Castle General view from east before demolition of wing

Date c. 1900

Catalogue Number B 7525

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 565407

Scope and Content General view of Craignish Castle from east, Argyll and Bute Craignish Castle, originally a late medieval tower-house recorded as being incomplete in 1414, has been much altered and extended over the centuries. In 1837 a four-bay mansion was added, and in the 20th century, a staircase block was built. The two- and three-storeyed ranges, to the right, were added to the tower-house in 1837. The architect may have been William Burn (1789-1870), or it may have been Joseph Gordon Davis. Built in English Elizabethan style, it has an octagonal entrance tower. The entrance tower has a corbelled and crenellated parapet, reflecting the parapet on the original tower-house (left). The upper part of the tower-house was rebuilt in 1837 when all the windows in the tower-house and the new block were aligned. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565295

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions