Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craignish Castle, Interior Detail of door and panelling in north room, first floor of tower

B 7540

Description Craignish Castle, Interior Detail of door and panelling in north room, first floor of tower

Date 25/9/1986

Catalogue Number B 7540

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 565398

Scope and Content Detail of door on first floor of tower in Craignish Castle, Argyll and Bute Craignish Castle, originally a late medieval tower-house recorded as being incomplete in 1414, has been much altered and extended over the centuries. In 1837 a four-bay mansion was added, and in the 20th century, a staircase block was built. In 1910 the first-floor rooms in the tower-house were redecorated. The walls were covered in oak panelling and the plaster cornices and friezes were added. The new doors, also of oak, have brass door furniture. This door, and the panelling, are carved with foliated, or leaf ornament, and interlaced motifs which relate to late medieval tombstones and memorials carved by the Iona school of stone carvers. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565289

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions