Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Main block, view from South West

SC 565272

Description Main block, view from South West

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 565272

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 73473 CN

Scope and Content The Whitehouse, Whitehouse Road, Cramond, Edinburgh, from the south-west The Whitehouse, an early 17th-century laird's house, stands on the west side of Whitehouse Road. The original house, built for the Primrose family, was extended in the 18th and late 19th centuries, and carefully restored in the 1990s. This white-harled house, possibly begun c.1615 as a plain L-plan house with a stair-turret in the south-west corner, was extended in the 18th century. In 1895-1901, the architects, MacGibbon & Ross, added the bay windows. The house has interesting relics in the garden, including an unusual baluster sundial, dated 1732, and a stone pillar with jougs (Scots), an iron collar and chain used to fasten sinners by the neck outside a church in order to expose them to ridicule. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565272

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions