Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East House. Photographic copy of engraving showing the range of buildings which form one side of the square.

SC 565122

Description East House. Photographic copy of engraving showing the range of buildings which form one side of the square.

Catalogue Number SC 565122

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 67984 P

Scope and Content Early 19th-century sketch of the Edinburgh Asylum (East House), Morningside, Edinburgh The Edinburgh Asylum was founded by Dr Andrew Duncan in 1809 as 'an asylum for the cure and relief of mental derangement'. The building was demolished in 1896, after the establishment of the West House, now the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, in 1842. The asylum, 'a grim grey building', was designed by the architect, Robert Reid, in a plain Classical style. It was built within four acres of land on the Morningside estate, and enclosed by a high stone wall. Andrew Duncan's plan to establish an asylum may have been inspired by the wretched death in 1774 of the celebrated Edinburgh poet, Robert Fergusson, who suffered in distressing conditions in the cells of the Edinburgh Bedlam, an asylum for the insane. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565122

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions