Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Morningside School. View from East.

SC 560262

Description Old Morningside School. View from East.

Date c. 1920

Collection Francis M Chrystal

Catalogue Number SC 560262

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 5874

Scope and Content The Old Schoolhouse, Morningside Road, Morningside, Edinburgh The Old Schoolhouse, one of the oldest buildings in Morningside, was built in 1823. It served as the school for local children as well as those from as far afield as Swanston and Lothianburn until South Morningside School, Comiston Road, opened in 1892. The school lies on the west side of Morningside Road in what was originally the heart of the old village of Morningside. The hands of its large clock, built over the middle of three small bays, remained at 3.40pm for many years after the school closed. Pupils who lived some distance away travelled to school on horseback or by riding on farm carts. The use of horses may have accounted for the school being known as the 'cuddy school'. The horses were tethered in a nearby lane still known as Cuddy Lane. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/560262

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Francis M Chrystal Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions