Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Castle Toward. General view from West.

SC 559129

Description Castle Toward. General view from West.

Catalogue Number SC 559129

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 4591

Scope and Content View of principal façade of west block of Castle Toward, Argyll and Bute Castle Toward was built in two stages. The original house was erected in 1820 for Kirkman Finlay, a wealthy Glasgow merchant. In 1920-4 the west section of the house was added for Andrew Coats, a member of the Paisley thread-making family. This is the principal façade of the west section of the house which was designed by the London architect Francis Deas (1862-1951) in 1920. It was designed to match the Gothic style of the existing house, designed by David Hamilton (1768-1843) in 1820. The façade is roughly symmetrical with projecting towers which flank a recessed centre with a first-floor arched screen. Three-storeyed, with an attic and basement, the house has crenellated towers and hood-moulds above the windows. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/559129

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions